Building your own home? We will guide you through the process.
New Build Homes
Create a special environment designed specifically for your needs.
We specialise in exposed oak and Douglas Fir Timber Framed Buildings
Timber Framed Buildings
New/improved community buildings bringing a new lease of life.
Public & Community Buildings
Currently designing and delivering complex residential developments around Scotland.
Residential Housing Developments
Attic & Loft Conversions
Block Architects are pleased to offer fixed-price guaranteed attic conversion drawings. We provide domestic architect design and planning services in Lanarkshire, Glasgow and Edinburgh.
- An attic conversion or loft conversion is one of the most cost-effective ways for you to gain additional space within your home. The space at the top of your house is typically already wind and water tight, and so, compared to other methods of property extension, loft conversions can be done at a relatively low cost.At Block Architects we are proud to say that domestic alterations are our bread and butter, and we love it!
For several years, we have assisted many local builders and home owners with attic conversions, and have supervised the provision of bedrooms, offices, games rooms, ensuites, bathrooms… the list is endless.There are several key factors to be considered when approaching an attic conversion.
- Structural implications
- Head heights
- Impact of stairs on new and existing house layout
- Dormer or velux installation
We’ll talk you through the decision-making process during our free initial consultation, and then take it from there.
- Free initial consultation to discuss project
- Full design & consultancy service
Our Top Tips On Attic & Loft Conversions
- Most stairs are 800mm clear between handrails, which means that you may require a stair footprint of approx 2mx3.5m to get access to the loft. In other words, most stairs don’t fit into your airing cupboard.
- Spiral stairs take up just as much room as square stairs.
- Cabrio balconies are fantastic for gaining outside access to your attic space. If you intend to use your attic space on a regular basis then it’s worth considering one.
- Planning permission is not typically required where there are only rooflight windows e.g. Velux or Fakro.
- Rooflight windows are one of the most cost effective ways to introduce light into your attic space. Easy to fit and easy to source, they will make any attic room light and airy.
- Minimum headroom requirements in an attic space is 2000mm or 2m dead.
- If you think that you don’t have enough space in your attic, consider taking the existing roof off and replacing it with higher attic trusses
- Roof dormers are often a fantastic way to gain that additional headspace. You’ll then be able to position your bathroom or small bedroom within an attic dormer.
- A Structural Engineer will be required to assess the structural arrangement of your existing roof.
- It is possible to convert modern gang nail trusses in modern houses.
To chat more about your attic or loft conversion, contact us today.